Wednesday, February 4, 2009

unkind cuts.....

A few things to post about, but this is going to be short and crisp as I am battling a slight head cold that has made me fuzzy (or fuzzier then usual).

The economy / job loss situation has finally hit close to home as my buddy, Casey, was let go from his job. He has been pretty upfront about it, and wrote about it yesterday. Just Sunday he and his family were at our house for some eats and football. We knew it could happen on Monday, but we had a good time and did not discuss it. Hopefully, it was a distraction for him / them.

His company, Caterpillar, has really been hit hard by the slowdown. Also, they like many others with these massive layoffs, are not letting go people, as much as they are just slashing divisions or departments. Have a hard time believing that all the employees not let go were better at their jobs then Casey was at his.

And it is not only companies with problems adding to this mess. Starbucks is laying off 6700 people because profits are down 39%. They did not lose money. They made money, but not as much as prior years, so they are laying off people to help their bottom line. Remember that next time you get that double latte.

Tax season has officially started for me, and let me know that in a 48 hour period. When I left my desk on Saturday afternoon, I was "empty". By Monday evening, I had 17 returns on my desk. Good problem to have, but it was a little surprising.

The start of February is such a mess for because there is normal monthly work, income tax clients, and then those business clients who just could not get me everything in January to complete the prior year. Those are the clients that put the "monkey wrench" in things, as I need to get their backlogged work done, so they are caught up, and we can get their 2009 work up to date.

Otherwise, things are going well. Supposed to hit the high 60s around here this weekend (after snow showers last night, and a low of 18 degrees tonight). Hopefully, I will be able to get a short ride on the motorcycle. I also hope this head cold will be gone by then. Don't want to sneeze in a closed helmet. :-)

And with that, I'm done.

Until the next time.....

2 comments:

Morgan said...

sneezing in the helmet? ewwwwwwwwwww.....

Kellie said...

Morgan... that is what I thought, too! HAAHAHHA!!!

If you ride.. you better come over to see us. lol