Wednesday, December 3, 2008

old is new again.....

Well, I mentioned it in my last post, and I have written about it quite a few times since the end of last season, but The Carolina Hurricanes finally fired Coach Peter Laviolette. What I didn't mention, and did not think would occur, is that the team has decided to replace Laviolette with the man that he replaced, Paul Maurice. The hiring of Maurice is strange, but with only four players still here from the last day he was here, it is almost like he is coaching a new team anyway.

This has Jim Rutherford's (Canes' GM) fingers all over it. Yes, the team has not been consistent, but when your squad constantly looks like a MASH unit, it is not going to be. There were lucky to only miss the last two playoffs by 2 points each. It could have and should been much worse. Rutherford was not happy with Laviolette after they won the Stanley Cup, and Laviolette's contract had expired. Rutherford had to sign him to that nice long (and expensive) five year deal, or risk losing him to another team (probably his hometown Bruins) right after the greatest time in the franchise's history.

Well, let's hope Coach Maurice can light that spark that has been missing, and that the team can stay healthy for the remainder of the season. As for Coach Laviolette, he has 2 1/2 years of salary coming his way, but I expect him to behind some teams bench before the puck drops next season.

Starting tomorrow afternoon, Cassie will be taking voice lessons taught by a member of our church. She will only be able to take three weeks worth of lessons, but that will be just enough time to let us know if she is serious or not, for when we return to NC.

Tomorrow night, Morgan and I continue with our small group at church. It is the same couples as the last group, except we have one new couple, who replaced the couple that is just about ready to have their first child. This is a quick four week group, and we are studying "The Life of Mary".

Three weeks from tonight we will be back east. Where has this time flown to?

Sorry, I have been lazy with the writing and postings. I think after all the writing I did before and after the election, and with so much going on with us and the move, I am a little worn out. But I do "owe" you my thank you note to CRB.

Plus I want to talk about the fact that it is OK to save your money this holiday season, even if the media is telling you to spend or things will get worse. Ugh!

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I wondered what you thought of the firing of Laviolette. Steve and I were shocked when we saw the news last night!!

Three more weeks.... :)

Hope the voice lessons go well. I am sure she'll love them!

Enjoy your study on Mary!