Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Congratulations Barack Obama.....

As I stated in my last piece about why I voted for John McCain, my world did not end, just because of an election result that I did not want to see. Yes, I am disappointed, but my "world" will go on the same, no matter who was elected.

As mentioned before, Morgan and I are not tied to any "party" when it comes to our careers, so we plug along, and keep the "ship" going straight. Some might say that is selfish, but as I have said, I believe in taking care of yourself, if you are capable of doing so, so why would I go against that belief when it comes to my family. That is not to say, I don't want the country to do well, as I do, but we are not tied to the economy, like some others might be.

That said, I again congratulate the new President-Elect on a well oiled campaign machine. We will never see a campaign run the "old fashioned" way anymore, but whether that is a good thing is something we will see. Obama spending $250 million (double McCain) has many eyebrows raised about future "purchasing of elections. Think you saw lots of ads this year, just wait if neither candidate takes public financing in 4 years, and both spend over $200 million.

Obama's speech last night was interesting. He spoke about this taking a while (maybe more than a term), hard work and sweat to get this country moving again. I am all for that, and I hope the words that I heard are his true words, and he means them, as these "centrist" ideas from the campaign and last night differ from his prior words (written or spoken) or voting records.

I also hope that his supporters heard these words, and really listened to them. I hope they realize that if he follows this course that this will not be a "snap of the fingers", and things will be great. Though some are obliviously thinking that his election is some magic elixir for their problems. I hope many others are more realistic, and will not be disappointed.

This country was built on hard work and sweat. You did the work, you made it "to the table". If you fell, there was help to get you upright again and headed in the right direction, but it was still up to you to take advantage of that help and make it "to the table". And for the few that just could not do it on your own, there was help to that table.

Some might say that we don't help enough that have fallen to get up and get guided in the right direction, and that may be true, which is "shame on us". But at the same time, there are way too many that try to claim they can't do it all, and take advantage of the system, and want to be picked up and placed with those have worked and sweated. Shame on them.

Also, what has changed dramatically over the years is that once at the table, everyone wants to be at the head of it. They want to "keep up with the Joneses." That attitude is a major factor in this credit mess people are in. How many are in "trouble" financially, but can look around at fancy cars, TVs, iPods, iPhones, and video game systems in their household?

His words last night spoke of personal reflection and responsibility. I hope he is true to them, and people listen.

If, once in office, Obama does decide to "go left", he will have trouble. It might not be with this Congress, but with the rest of America two years, then four years from now. This is still a "center / right" country. If you don't believe that, look at the majority of new house members and Senators, as they are either Moderate Republicans or Conservative Democrats. Go beyond that, and look at the ballot initiatives that voted to keep marriage defined as "one man / one woman". This election was a "shift" and message to the Republicans to get its act together, it was not a "swing" and mandate for the Liberals. To think that way would be foolish.

Though, I am already hearing rumblings about the Fairness Doctrine, and also the law to do away with secret ballots for unions, so maybe they are going to test the waters to see if the nation is still "starry eyed", and not paying attention.

So again, congratulations to Barack Obama. This administration has a tough road ahead of it. I hope and pray they do the right thing, and that his words last night ring true.

If not, you can be sure, I will let you know. :-)

Morgan has been on jury duty this week, and got called to be on the jury. About 150 people were in the pool, and she made it through. They say the case should wrap up by the 21st of this month, so that will mean she will miss about 3 weeks of work. Luckily, the station is OK with it, especially if she can use this "adventure" on the air when she returns.

Time to go through my "political junkie" withdrawals. :-)

- Law and Order is back. Hooray.
- The Beatles on Rock Band. Morgan says I'm old. :-(
- Hurricanes beat Maple Leafs in OT after blowing 3 goal lead.

Until the next time.....

3 comments:

Nate Heldman said...

thanks for the note, sal. i appreciating you adding angela's blog, too...but unless i'm from the DEEP south, it'd be illegal for me to marry my sister. :-)

Sal Cartusciello said...

Nate - Saw your comment about finding stuff around the house, and just assumed wife. Oops.

Morgan said...

uhhhh.....nice congratulations. A little back-handed, but for you my dear--I'm impressed! ; )