Friday, November 7, 2008

sold on Craigslist.....

OK, I got rid of the gray (I like gray), and changed up the colors. Please let me know what you think.

This Tuesday afternoon, we will have each of the items we were not putting in the new house sold and picked up thanks to Craigslist. The only items we are leaving up for sale are the washer/dryer, but if they don't sell it is not a big deal, as we only have them up there to lighten the moving weight.

The moving expenses will not be as bad as we thought because of quite a few factors, including the slow economy, new trucking laws started in 2008, which seems to have knocked down rates, and fuel prices falling. Plus we are returning with only what we want/need, so the load will be much lighter than previous times.

We began telling the people at church about us moving and the reaction has been overwhelming. This is making leaving a bit harder for us. After talking with quite a few people, many have reasons they visit NC, and will be adding us to their stops when in the state, so that also makes us feel pretty good. Morgan and I joked that we were hoping they said, "Good riddance, don't let the door hit you when you go", as it would make it easier for us to leave, but that has not happened. We have been blessed to meet such good people here at CRB.

Tuesday, I has a long meeting with Pastor Harry, about us moving, and what the church has meant to me, and to us as a family. I also gave him a 3 page "thank you" note which chronicled my journey, and the events that have occured these past 5+ years. He was so happy when I told him how much CRB has changed us and meant to us this past year, that I thought he was going to cry when I finished my story. Now, he is talking about me going up and giving my testimony in front of the church before we move away.

If 18 months ago you would have told me this story, I would have looked at you like you had 3 heads. What a ride it has been. I have a copy of the letter, and might post it here before we leave San Diego.

I picked up a new business client down in Atlanta. I had a business client move there from NC, and he recommended me to his brother and his brother's business partner, who were not happy with their previous accountant. My client has one of the lowest fees for a monthly client among my base, and with me changing my fee set-up for all new clients, this was going to be interesting. Why? I knew he expected his brother to pay the same low fee that he had been paying. Sure enough, I got a phone call from my original client asking why his brother was being charged more. I told him about my new fee schedule and that I had discounted his brother a little, because he was family (which I did). That got an OK from him, so I then pushed my luck and mentioned that I was going to be raising his fees when I return to NC to get all my "old" clients up to my current pricing levels, but that it would be done a little at a time. He said OK, at that was the end of the conversation.

So, I got a new client and was able to raise a fee all at the same time. The old me would have been a "wimp" and lowered the brother's fee down to the existing brother, just to keep the client happy, which would have made me upset when working on those clients.

I don't even want to get into the debacle that occurred last night in Washington with the Hurricanes. How you blow a lead with less than 3 minutes to play and come away with no points against a division rival? It just unthinkable. This one or two points will be forgotten come April, but if they miss the playoffs again by a point or two (like the past two seasons), they can look back at this game.

A quiet weekend of nothing and game playing ahead. Enjoy yours.

- "You got to move it, move it" Madagascar 2.
- I think, Gears of War 2 might mean a late night this weekend.
- One week until James Bond and Quantum of Solace.

Until the next time.....

4 comments:

Chris said...

Good post, my friend. Moving away is difficult, although, it seems like you'll be easing the pain by moving back "home" sort of. I learn all the time that God's plan is so much bigger than us and I'm glad you were able to chronicle your journey on paper--hopefully, it gives you a fresh new perspective on life and God's plan!

When it gets closer to the time, you may get a new personal client in GA as well. I usually do my own taxes, but I have a feeling this year is going to be a bad year to do that (I have some extra "income" over what I usually have). I'll get in touch with you down the road a bit to find out more...

Kellie said...

I like the orange... very calming. Fits how your life has come in the last year. :)

I had to laugh when you said the part of someone telling you to go before church and give your testimony would have caused you to look at them like they had three heads... I remember that look as I got it a few times when I had Cassie. lol Remember when I kept telling you I would pray for your Mom and pray for your knee when you had surgery? You kind of laughed at me. hee hee... NOW look at what the Lord has done.

I can't wait to read your letter if you decide to post it. My heart swells with emotion when I think of how the Lord has carried you and helped you to see how to depend more on Him.

I am happy that y'all got "rid" of most of your stuff. Can't wait to see you all....

Sal Cartusciello said...

Chris - Thanks. I'll send a PM over at GG, and give you my email address.

Kellie - I have no idea what looks you might be talking about. :-)

Kellie said...

Sal.. you are just in denial... lol