Thursday, July 17, 2008

helmet law.....

Hope you got a chance to read Josh Hamilton's Wiki page and the two ESPN articles that I mentioned yesterday.

Last Friday, I decided to pick up a "half helmet" to wear for my trips around town on the motorcycle. It is not for my times that I expect to be on the freeway, but for my trips to the supermarket, bank, and etc., that I seem to be making more and more of, so not to start the truck for just a quick errand.

On Sunday, I decided to wear it for our church ride, and I quickly discovered that regular sunglasses will not do the trick for keeping the wind off my eyes, so yesterday I picked up a pair of sunglasses/goggles to protect my eyes. So, now I am set for my rides around town, without seating my head off being in a full helmet.

It's funny, because when I started riding I promised myself I would always wear my "armour", and always a full helmet. Now, I ride around most days in a t-shirt and jeans, and now you can add a half helmet. Boy, how my thoughts have changed.

My brother is arriving on Tuesday for Comic Con, so I called him on Tuesday to see what what going on. When I asked him where he and his friend were staying, he said, "I thought with you?". Need less to say, I do not remember that conversation, and are not really sure we even had it. In any case, our home is open to him, so they will be crashing with us for a week. That is the same week that Cassie heads off to Florida, so there goes that week of quiet that Morgan and I were planning. We'll need to wait until the first week in August when Cassie goes away with church for sleep away camp.

I'm not sure how long I will be spending at Comic Con. I will have a media pass, so I will have a little different access (very little) than some, but I really just want to experience it, and see what it is like being with so many comic "geeks/nerds" (said nicely). There are a few booths I want to see, but otherwise, I just expect to wander. I do hope they allow my camera inside, although I might be better off just taking the small Sony Cybershot, as it fits in my pocket.

The NHL schedule for the 2008 - 2009 season was released today, and the Hurricanes make their trip to the west coast early in the season. They will be in Los Angeles, to face the Kings on Friday, October 17th, and then on Sunday, they will be playing against the Ducks in Anaheim. We will see at least one of the games, and maybe both if it works into the budget.

- Are we seeing a glimmer of light at tunnel's end for this economy?
- Jay likes cars and motorcycles.
- The Who cover The Who.

Until the next time.....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you at least get one that covers you brain stem, and not a bucket? If I ever get another bike, I will never get a half helmet, ever....
Glad you like it though, just heard to much about them that I am not going to share here ;) BTW, I got your wine. :)

Sal Cartusciello said...

No, it is pretty much a bucket, and not a 3/4 helmet. I got it mostly for the 2 mile trip to the bank and supermarket.

Thanks. Actually, you got me a Hurricanes bottle that just happens to contain wine. ;-)

Kellie said...

I need a picture of this helmet... Have no clue of what it looks like. In fact, I just need a picture of you styling and profiling on your bike. Haven't seen you on it in 10 months, you know. he hee

Sounds like you'll have a great week with family!!! :)

Never heard of Comic Con, but I am sure it will be quite fun/interesting. I'm sure you will tell us about it, right? :)

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

I wear wrap-around, tinted safety glasses when I ride with my half helmet. Keeps the wind out of my eyes, and hopefully protects them from flying objects. I had a huge bug squash against them the other day.

I have the all-star game dvr'ed and plan to watch it this weekend, although now that I think about it, I probably didn't get the free baseball recorded. :( I should have extended it a couple of hours just in case. I saw the HR derby, and that was awesome! Hamilton is truly inspiring with a great story and message to share with the world.