Sunday, March 2, 2008

piling up.....

When I left the office last Saturday night, I only had one "untouched" folder on my desk. Everyone else was completed or in the "pile of shame". As of noon today, there are now 25 in the untouched pile, and I worked all week! Of course, this is a good thing, as a tax accountant with no work before April 15th is not a good thing, but it shows how the "waves" of work coming in can sometimes overwhelm me during this time of year.

Again, a good thing, but it is human nature to work at "pace", so when I see two folders, your thoughts tell you that you have time, then the email "dings", the postman knocks, UPS man drops off, and the next thing you know is that you are flooded, and wonder if you will ever get the work completed.

That is the feeling I have right now. Because of the move, the clients that normally dropped off, or came into the office for appointments, are having to adjust for "my move". Some have had no questions or problems at all, while others needed some coaxing, and still others are possibly still thinking about it, or have already made a decision and have found another accountant. Also, the ones that used to come in for their appointment, were used to coming in and taking home their return the same day. Now they have to get used to getting the return anywhere from 2 days to 10 days later (depending on the backlog). All of this is over worrying on my part (what a surprise!), but that's me (really???).

I know all will work out. The pile will shrink to nothing in 6 weeks, the clients who liked having a relationship with me will continue to do so, while the others who just had me as their "tax return preparer", will move on to someone else to just "do the job". And, that's OK. When all this shakes out, and we are ready to return back east, my client base will be people who like working with me, and what I do for them. Even though that will be less then what I started with, it will be a great starting base to grow with as we start the final phase of my tax accounting career.

Final phase? I'm getting old. :-)

All of this actually ties into our church service last night. It was titled, Prophetic Economics. Some of what Pastor Harry described, was that in order to get your "house" in order, sometimes God makes/wants you to move from your current position or place to eventually find a better place. And even though you may question the "drought/hardship" God puts you through, if you hold the course, He will bring you to a better place.

While Harry was speaking, Morgan elbowed me in the ribs, and gave me that look. The one that says, "he's talking about you/me/us". She grasps these better then me. I still don't feel God is talking to me, as I am way down on the totem pole. But, when I look at it closely, I realize that God has spoken and lead me to good places.

When we got home, Morgan mentioned this again to me. She said to think back to 2004, when we first arrived in San Diego. I needed to reach the lowest point in my life, and a hardship of living apart from Morgan to get me back to church, discover Jesus, and straighten out my life, which in turn, made our family much better and stronger.

Now, it might be happening again. We may have been led to this move to let go of the large house, the large client base, and the "extras", in order to condense and prioritize the things in our lives, including the three of us to a much tighter family. This includes the fact that we all now attend the same church and services, which we did not do back in NC. Kellie has said since the beginning that we were brought out here again for a reason, and she is probably right (like she is on most of these things).

The Hurricanes beat up on the Tampa Bay Lightning 5-1 last night. The boys are really playing good hockey, and I'm glad to see them come together despite the many injuries. There really is not a dominant team in the Eastern Conference as all have injury or other problems, so if they keep this up, they might make some noise come April and June.

- We actually looked at Denver as a place to live back in 1997.
- Does this advertising work, or get lost in the "noise" of the events?
- I like Windows XP.

Until the next time.....

4 comments:

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

Cookies arrived in delicious condition on Saturday! I was trying to figure out what I had ordered from Amazon. LOL

Kellie said...

I hate when things pile up and get you overwhelmed. I feel that way a lot of times at school. It all "hits" at once. Hang in there. :)

See... I keep telling you God has you all out there for a reason. Glad you are seeing some of what God is working on in your lives. :) (btw... I am not ALWAYS right.. lol)

Sent the check for my cookies today. Last week with feeling not so great I didn't get it off when I wanted. :)

Morgan said...

th3guns1ing3er....YEAH! Glad they got there ok. Are there any left?

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

Oh yeah. I'm limiting myself to 1/2 box per day... ;-)