Tuesday, May 6, 2008

homebody.....

Should have done this yesterday, but I will follow up today. The lunch catering job that Morgan had on Saturday was very successful. When we delivered and started to set up the food, the kids (mostly high school) and adults were very impressed. She has not heard directly from them yet, but we are sure everyone enjoyed it all. Morgan's next job is this Saturday for her co-worker's wife.

This morning I picked up the "registration" package for Cassie's new school (Maranatha Christian). I wish we did not have to move her, but this is what is best for her and her education. I am actually blown away by how poor the public schooling is, and with possible major cuts up ahead, how much worse it could be. It is not the teachers' faults, as they are following what is put in front of them by the State of California, but I am amazed how "simple" and "to the test" the teaching is. If this is our most populous state, and with the most school age children, then "yikes!" is all I can say. Of course, we were spoiled by the wonderful teachers over at Wake Christian Academy.

The other piece I was blown away with was the cost. Again, as Morgan and I say, Cassie is worth it, but the tuition is about 25% more WCA, and when you add in the fees, and cost of uniforms (nice dress, not too formal), it is almost 50% more. Sticker shock!

Going back to yesterday's post, I was mentioning future houses, and our future living situation. Morgan, added a comment about pushing Cassie out, and that she never has to leave if she doesn't want to. Well, I'm actually OK with that, but there is the "chance" we could be empty nesters in less than 10 years.

I was talking about being a homebody. Someone that reads this blog who fits that description. For some, that phrase brings up images of a hermit, who never wants to be with anybody. Now, I freely admit that I don't have many friends, but I do like being with other people, but just not for very long. At the end of the day, I like being home, preferably with my wife and child.

I also don't like being away from my home for long periods of time. Two or three days in Las Vegas, good. Maybe four days at Disney World, great. A week away. Umm, I'll get back to you on that one.

Now does this make me unsociable? No, I just like my wife and daughter, and being with them. A lot! I never really thought about why I am this way. Why do I love to take walks, watch a movie or TV show, play Rock Band or any other game with them, more than anything else that I could be doing at anytime? Why do I clutch to the home, and my two favorite girls?

Morgan brought up the point the other night, that it probably is because I never had this when I was a kid. I had a good childhood with many friends, and we hung out all the time either playing sports, or in my basement playing Strat-O-Matic Baseball (board version with dice) or early video games. I am still in long distance contact with many of them and we play fantasy football together each football season. But, family life was not there. My parents divorced after my 13th birthday (about 6 months or so later then they would have, but I was very ill the months before my birthday), and as sad as it is to say, one of the only "family memories" I have in those thirteen years is from a trip to Great Adventure in New Jersey, and that is because my brother tried to jump out of a water ride because he was scared to death. I can't remember doing anything "fun" as a family, or for that matter, just doing mundane things like watching TV together. Ugh!

I can probably fill quite a bit more space with this today, but I think I will continue tomorrow with my "self-therapy" session.

- Now I know where the name came from, but why 31 flavors?
- I have found the couple I have seen too hard to watch, but it may have been the theater
- Guess mine would be a coffee cup
- Major illegal operation at our local college

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

OK.... am I the homebody you were referring to???? lol I am right there with ya!!!! :)

WOW about Cassie's new school. At least we spoiled you and you didn't want to run away. Of course, Second grade was the best, right? hee hee

WONDERFUL news about Morgan's catering jobs. I am so proud of her in many ways. :)