Monday, May 5, 2008

house for sale.....

So last week I received an email from our landlords informing us that they were planning on selling the house we are renting. Their plan is to sell this more expensive one and purchasing others in San Diego for rentals. A first I was a bit upset, as I hoped to stay here for the duration of time that we would be here in San Diego without any other moving, but Morgan told me not to worry about anything, and that when the time came, we would just find a smaller place, storage our stuff, and save a few dollars. Guess that is the life of a house renter.

But, the more I thought about the email, the more I think they may be grasping a bit. For one thing, our lease expires in over 16 months on September 30, 2009, so why tell us now? One reason may be due to the fact that we do have the first right to purchase the home if it goes on the market (as per our lease). They mentioned in the email what a great opportunity and time to purchase it was, but as I told them in my email response, Morgan and I have no interest investing in California real estate. Also, after living in the house these past 8 months, we know the upgrades that must be done to take it from its original 1987 state to something close to the 21st century. I don't know, but I just don't think you should buy a house for $850K (at least their asking price), and then put another $50 to $80K into it to make it "modern".

The living in the house part reminds me of a new show on TLC called "Date my House". Too high maintenance for us, so we would not be asking for a second date. :-)

All this got Morgan and I discussing our future home (empty nest /retirement home). At the earliest, we would be back in NC just before Cassie's 12th birthday, so it's possible we could be only 6 years away from being on our own if she goes away to college. That means we need to decide what kind of home "we" want and need for our future. Will we spend more on the home, and make it our focal point, or less on the home and use the other money for other things. In the end, we both want to enjoy our home, because at the end of the day, we are "homebodies"......

More on that tomorrow.....

- my old state in the political mix this year
- Steven Spielberg's family video game
- anyone else stay up for 4 overtimes!!!!

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I've told you--She's not going away for college. She will live with us forever. You're tryin' to get rid of my baby....what's wrong with you???