Saturday, October 4, 2008

morning at the pool.....

Ugh, 5am did come early, so I did not get myself out of bed until about 5:30am. Because I needed to get to the pool first, and might be there later then them, I rode the motorcycle there, while Morgan and Cassie drove in her car.

Cassie was registered for four events for the day (50, 100, 200 & 500 yard swims), and had a good day. She even recorded National "B" times for the 200 and 500 yard events. That gives her three national times in the past 6 months.

After the event is another story, as Cassie said something to Morgan, which made her head spin around. When I was told what had happened, my head also spun. She crossed a line that will make Morgan and I rethink quite a few things, as we try to get her back on track. This was out of "left field", so it is not the norm, but we know we need to nip this now before it goes any further.

Now, prior to this, I would have exploded with a yelling and screaming fit that would have peeled the paint from the walls. Instead, as she came through the door (I got home first, it happened in the car on the way home, and Morgan came inside first and told me before Cassie arrived in the house), I quietly, but sternly, gave her a few instructions of what she was to do, told her the first portion of her punishment, and told her not to make a "peep". She knew she was wrong, and was upset, but that did not matter, as she was going to see this through.

I was proud of myself, for "keeping my cool". I did say a prayer to calm me down as I was speaking with her at the same time to keep it at an even keel, and it worked. That may not be the best way to pray, but for that time it worked for me.

She is only 10, and we are going to go through "things", plenty, over the next few years. I understand that, but I also know I need to not have my blood pressure reach 300 each time it happens. It does no good for either of us. I'm just glad I was able to put lessons I have learned, and prayed about, into action, and have them work. It was a test for me, and I think I did OK.

Kellie mentioned to me that her husband saw Josh Hamilton at the gym the other day. Was not sure if they were still living in Raleigh, or had moved to Texas. I hope whenever we get back, I get a chance to meet him, and apologize for my thoughts years ago, and thank him for the inspiration he is to me, and to many others.

We have all heard of the "soccer mom" vote. Plus there is usually the Catholic, Jewish, Hispanic, etc. breakdowns, and the theory that they mostly vote in blocks. Are you now ready for the "ex-felons" voting block? I'm speechless.

Off to the rest of my weekend.

- First NHL game of the season, and it is in Prague?
- The Morgan vs. Sal NFL game this Sunday.
- Great story. Must eat a meal at Barry's when we get back to NC.

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Cassie is doing an awesome job with her swimming!!

I'm proud of you for keeping your cool, Sal. I know how hard it is to think level headed when kids come up with crazy stuff.

I am also glad your blood pressure didn't reach 300 as that would have been bad. :)

We haven't eaten at Barry's in a LONG time... maybe we should visit again. We always go to Fiesta Mexicana, you know. lol