Thursday, April 17, 2008

done for 9 more months.....

Well, April 15th has finally gone by the boards. Another tax season (my 22nd) to look back on. All in all, considering everything, it went pretty well. I completed 261 returns (4 are family), have 7 on my floor on extension, and still might get a "dribbler or two" later on. Last year I did 304 total returns, so with the move, I am pretty happy with the number. I already know of 5 more returns for next year, as I have 3 "old" clients who tried others this year, tell me that they would be returning in 2009, and I have two returns where the couples are divorcing, but I am keeping everyone as a client. Plus there is one other who is not too sure of their current preparer, and might return.

It was a tough season though. Besides the uncertainty of who would be returning, I had to learn to work differently, and not just because of the "time difference". I only had 4 people sit at the desk for a return, as compared to the 100 or so that might normally sit for an appointment. That was a difficult adjustment. Also, the clients who normally sat with me, or dropped off to me their information were learning a different way, so they were a little unsure, so I seemed to spend a great deal of time on the phone, or in e-mail, answering "what am I supposed to give you?". On top of it all, because of this "different way" for many, they were (and many admitted to me) much later delivering their information than usual. I did many more returns after March 15th, then in past years. Now that we all have a year under our belts, I am hoping 2009 will be a little easier.

I will actually be working pretty consistently for the next 4 weeks or so. Not 15 or 16 hour days, but I have some new business clients that need setting up, I am going to finishing scanning the rest of the client papers in the office, take my Continuing Ed courses, and believe it or not, I actually get ready for next tax season now, but updating my charts, folder & mailing labels, etc. That way it is all done by Memorial Day, and I only need to add new clients that I pick up during the year.

Went to the dentist to follow up on last weeks visit. I have actually had pain since early February, but kept holding off, so not to lose tax season time. I did have a small problem with a back tooth, but come to find out, that my healthy gums are causing a problem with a crown I had put on years back when my gums weren't so healthy. What's wrong with that statement? My dentist hope to be able to alleviate the problem by me using a prescription fluoride mouth rinse for a few weeks. I sure hope so, and this is more annoying than real painful.

Cassie has a swim meet this weekend, and her swim team is hosting it. That means lots of parent involvement. I am going to help them set up on Friday, and then I will be there first thing Saturday & Sunday mornings to help with check-in. Hopefully, I won't be so busy that I don't get a chance to see Cassie swim her events.

Then later on Sunday, we are going to see a show by Jack Hanna. Should be fun, but combined with the swim, our whole weekend is lost. Unfortunately, it is only show and appearance in the area, so there is no other time to see him. Then before you know it, Morgan & Cassie will be back at work & school, and complaining that their weekend evaporated.

Been watching the NHL playoffs, and wondering "what if?" had the Hurricanes played better down the stretch, or just during that December slump.

OK, hope to be back at this on a much regular basis. Election year, prices out of control, society just declining in front of us. Should be fun.

- Hope she gets her horse back, and not at 10 times what she sold it for.
- I can't wait for Indiana Jones. He always seems nice.
- Glad I have the bike, not the stock.
- Even in hard times, people like entertainment.

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Glad to see you "back" and finished with crunch time. I have missed you. You did wonderful this year... I am proud of ya!

Hope your tooth gets better! Ouch!

Sounds like your weekend is quite busy but should be fun. Cassie is doing so awesome!