Wednesday, June 4, 2008

first date.....

I guess you thought what I wrote about last was funny, and I am assuming you were telling me this because I said that the first date Morgan and I went on did not go so well. I am not kidding. I was amazed she ever called me back after I left a message on her phone telling her I had a nice time. I thought is was "one and done" (stealing Cassie's phrase) for our relationship.

When I went to her place to pick her up, the jeans wearing, normal woman was replaced by a woman with pulled back hair and a white button down sweater. I figured these were "date clothes", but once we got in the car and went to this little Mexican restaurant out in the Hamptons, she would not talk. The woman I spent two hours with gabbing away at the mall was silent. Even after dinner when we went to this old house that was converted into a bar / music house (old couches in every room was the seating), I can remember her sitting there playing with the buttons on her sweater. When it was all over and I took her home, I said good night, gave her a kiss on the cheek, and figured I would never see her again.

Little did I know that she did have a good time, but was uncomfortable because her "friends" had "dressed" her, and I think made her nervous about going out with me. (BTW, it was also the last time I ever saw her with her hair pulled so hard back, or in that white sweater. :-) ) So when she called me back on the Monday and asked me to join her at a movie premiere her station was handling (Gremlins 2), I was stunned.

I met her at the local movie theater where they were doing the showing, and we had our second date, and our first "good" one. Even with my sweaty hands. :-) That was June 14, 1990.

Then the rest was history.

Now, Morgan says the CD I received was Robert Plant's "Now and Zen", while I still think it was Alannah Myles' self-titled debut CD. She might be right, but either way, her station was giving out some old CDs in the middle of 1990. ;-)

Actually it is funny, because once we started dating and I was at the station most of the time, I can remember "prize closets" where there were tons of CDs from all different artists that the record companies provided to the stations. Seems like half our collection came from those closets. Now, the record companies give away nothing.

Hope you have been watching the Stanley Cup Finals, especially that classic on Monday night / Tuesday morning that went 3 overtimes before the Penguins finally won the game. Looking back, I can't remember a team being that close to clinching the Cup (36 seconds left when Pittsburgh tied it up), and having it slip away. Guess we will see if getting that close and then having it disappear has any lasting effect on Detroit.

- OK, oil is down. Will it follow to the pump?
- Guess he knew where he was headed.
- Chicago Olympics?

Until the next time.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am pretty sure my first date with Heather was to go see Super Mario Brothers...pretty sure right there should have been a red flag for her :) I am not 100% sure on the first date, but it is the one I remember most, since we got lost on the way to the theater :)
Great way to impress someone, get lost on a date.... heheh

Kellie said...

Love the story! You are still getting me tickled, though. Just think of it as you definitely made a memory to tell your grandkids one day. lol

Our first date was at my parent's house. We watched the Miss USA pageant... how FUN is that???? lol