Monday, June 30, 2008

ocean view.....

I was commenting on Kellie's post about her family's vacation and how she was sitting on the bench, while the men were on the roller coaster. I commented that I would probably be there next to them, and she emailed me asking about my dislike of roller coasters. I don't dislike them, I just don't like that many of them. I was very proud of myself to ride Expedition Everest four times the last trip to Disney World. I also have ridden Space Mountain dozens of times. Now, put it in the complete dark with loops like the Aerosmith Roller Coaster, or outside with big speed and large drops, and I am a benchwarmer.

Luckily, it has not effected Cassie, as she just calls me a "big chicken", and runs to get to the front of the lines. The child has no fear. Amazing.

Part of her no fear is her telling me how she wants to ride a motorcycle when she is old enough. We'll see about that when the time comes. That seems to come up when I get on these spurts of riding more days, and this weekend was one of those times.

Since Friday, I put over 150 miles on the bike for the few trips I have taken. Friday night was the local HOG meeting, and let's just say I now remember why I was not showing up to them. There are some very nice people in the group, but overall..........

On Sunday morning it was our church group's monthly ride. We have 14 of us for the ride, and our leader, Randy, made a 20 mile trip almost 40 miles one way to the coast area for a lunch at a Mexican restaurant. We went through the "fancy" towns of La Costa and Rancho Santa Fe, where all you see are multi million dollar homes, and many celebrities that live in them. I am sure they appreciated our group passing through.

I stayed in the back of the pack, as I still do not know these areas that we travel very well, but I was able to stay with them, enjoy the ride, and the glorious weather for the trip, and after about 25 miles or so, I looked ahead, and the Pacific Ocean was staring at me. We then traveled along the ocean and through the beach and surfing towns (which include road signs for "Surfers Crossing"). It was a great ride, with really good people. I saved the directions, so I can do it on my own, or maybe go for an early dinner with Morgan driving there. These are the times that I wish Morgan rode with me, or knew how to ride.

I will say that the ride and the scenery were great. No, I did not take any pictures, as I was riding. But, I did see in either my latest photo magazine, or latest motorcycle magazine a letter asking about a motorcycle camera mount, and there is one available. Not that I would do that, as there is enough to think about while riding, but it is out there.

Today, I did my part for the Harley Davidson Million Dollar Monday, and put another 49 miles on the bike. I just rode around the back roads for a bit this afternoon. As I am writing this, they are over 2 million mile mark. Many long commutes, or hooky days to get that many miles.

On the way home, Morgan asked me to stop by the store, and let's say that you can travel with 3 dozen eggs safely on a motorcycle. :-)

When I got home, there was an email from a client that I had not prepared returns for since 2002. Back then his wife had a side business, and when they became "simple" he did them on their own. Now it seems that they have some complications, and need my help in preparing and planning. He went to my website, and saw that I am in San Diego, so at least that won't be a shock. Seems these "old" clients are coming out of the woodwork.

I mention the "shock", because a few weeks ago, a NC client gave my name as a recommendation to someone who needed help. He is one of my clients that the distance is not even a thought, so he never mentioned it to his friend / associate. When she called, and I explained the situation, you could have heard a pin drop. Needless to say, she did not call back after "thinking about it".

Tomorrow is the start of the free agent frenzy in the NHL. The Tampa Bay Lightning have already gotten better with the signing of Ryan Malone (who became one of my favorites after his Stanley Cup performance), and others. I hope the Hurricanes' front office is watching and gets one of the better defensemen in the next couple of days. Another top line player to go with Tim Gleason, Joe Corvo, Nic Wallin, and Frantisek Kaberle who are signed would go a long way to getting this team back in the playoffs.

- A horrific crime. These two should never again see the light of day.
- See what happens after Bill Gates leaves the building.
- Cassie has been amazed watching the Olympic Swimming Trials.

Until the next time.....

6 comments:

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

Sounds like a nice ride by the ocean! My neighbor and I have been riding on Sunday nights. He called me this past Sunday about 9:30pm, and since I'd slept way too late that day, I was up for a late ride. We headed out about 10pm and got home about 12:30am. What was funny was to see the faces of the employees at Krispy Kreme when two bikes pulled up at 11:45pm and we walked in the door for a donut and chocolate milk. They were wide eyed, like we were getting ready to beat them up or something. :)

Sal Cartusciello said...

Night riding? I love the look and feel of riding in the twi-light, but I don't do it too often. Between the nuts out here, and the wildlife back in NC, too many outside "problems". Love a good 6am ride.

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

So far, we haven't had any incidents with deer or dogs. One night we had a scared rabbit come within a few inches of the leaders front tire before turning back. You can tell it wasn't me because I haven't thrown any underwear away recently.

Kellie said...

I think you did a nice time of riding this past weekend!! You are an old pro at it now. lol Glad you went to the Harley meeting.... and glad you saw you enjoyed your church ride better. :)

That must have been amazing to be riding along and the Pacific Ocean looms into view in front of you... WOW. I understand why there are no pictures, but I would love to see them. lol!!

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
Finally getting back to you from anonymous Law Enforcement gal in Northern Calif. We all have one of those we work with or for. What got me through, three years of hell was God. I gave it to him, because he said vengeance was his. As it was his, in his time not mine. Shortly after I was transferred, this ugly man's promotion was given to someone else, his career is going no further. Just remember God is great! I use another saying all the time, God hates Ugly people. Keep the faith, say your prayers and trust in the Lord.

Anonymous said...

Curiously....