Sunday, June 29, 2008

just stay home.....

I'm going to be meeting up with our church group in a little while for our monthly ride. On the way to church last night, I saw that the gas station where I will fill the bike before the ride was "down" to $4.59 for regular, and it will be $4.89 for the premium grade for the bike. Ugh!

You can't help but look at the gas prices each day out here and wonder where they will go. Morgan told me she was "thrilled" to pay $3.97 for regular when visiting NC. That is 60 cents less a gallon, and $12 less a fill up for my truck. Luckily, I do not do much traveling, so I only fill up every 10 days to two weeks, but Morgan having to commute to work fills up at least once a week. Now she does stop at the Costco on the way home, and usually gets the gas for about 10 cents less per gallon, but it is still outrageous.

I was thinking about it yesterday morning while I was taking Cassie to swim practice. Because I had taken my walk before practice, I only dropped her off, and would pick her up in 2 hours after practice. That meant two back & forth trips totalling about 28 miles. That is almost 2 gallons of gas, and almost $9, just to go to practice.

Morgan and I have talked about a hybrid SUV, the Ford Escape, as it has gotten good reviews, and would double the mileage Morgan now gets, but there are other factors. First, her Pathfinder is paid off, and my truck has about 12 or so payments remaining, so you are looking at a new car payment. Then, our driving and cost of living situations are going to change in the next twelve or eighteen months, so would the gas savings eventually pay off?

I am sure we will discuss it more, and reevaluate after the next year, but for now, like most of you, we examine where we have to go, and if multiple trips can be made on the one time out. Also, I try to use the bike if I am alone, and whatever stops I need to make can fit in the bags.

I know there are "good" things that will come from these high gasoline prices. I just wish the good did not hurt so bad.

- Fastest American. US Olympic Trials going on.
- Free alternatives to popular software.
- When a no-hitter, really isn't a no-hitter.

Until the next time.....

No comments: