Friday, June 13, 2008

Sunday mornings have changed.....

I am deeply saddened by the death of Tim Russert. At the age of 58 (much too young), we have lost an "everyman" of news and Washington politics. I say "everyman", because he was a commentator who did not talk down to you. He wanted to engage you, not lose you with his "knowledge". That's is how I like my commentators (be it news, sports, or politics), just like it is how I like my friends (plus I'm very picky), and how I try to connect with my clients (I want them to understand, not just shake head yes, and walk away still confused). It is a lost communication skill is this "I'm better than you" society we now occupy.

Many of you may not be "news junkies" or "politic junkies", and with the sad state of those pieces of our society, I really can't blame you as it seems to get more depressing each passing day, but I am, and for the last 15 or so years, the man I looked to for Sunday politic conversation was Tim Russert and Meet The Press. I haven't caught many of them live the last few years, but I caught their replays on MSNBC, or the web. I always felt that he understood "normal" people were watching or listening to be informed, not have their eyes glaze over. You could comfortably watch MTP, even if not a "junkie".

Now, he was from Buffalo and being a huge sports fan, rooted for the Bills and Sabres (including in 2006 when the Hurricanes beat them), but we are putting that to the side. ;-) A good Irish Catholic boy whose family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Sunday mornings with Meet The Press will never be the same.

I mentioned I was going to write about the type of house Morgan and I are looking for to settle into back in NC for our "finally settled" part of our life, but I'm going to skip that today, and get to it over the weekend.

Morgan had a tough day at work today as she was critiqued in a way that she did not appreciate. Her boss decided to use the "point man" on the show, and an e-mail to criticize her, instead of doing it face-to-face when he had the chance yesterday. Never mind that the "problem" has to do with her personality and the reason they hired her (don't ask, it will make your head spin), which was thorn #1, but the fact that her boss was in her office yesterday, and never mentioned any of it, really bothered her. She has been doing this for 25 years, and really should have more respect shown to her than what was presented.

When she came home today she mentioned that besides things like that bothering her, she feels that the move out here was for no reason. She felt disconnected while in NC with everyone else here in San Diego, and thought that would change with the move. Well, expect for her time in the studio in the mornings, which she loves, it is not any different. She told a friend that she still feels "invisible" at times, and it bothers her that she uprooted her family for no real change.

While this might be correct in some aspects, I don't want her beating herself up over this. I saw how unhappy she was being disconnected, and also thought this was a good idea. I really am surprised that her being in the station has not helped the situation. I would say that maybe the situation will change, but I have seen how she has been treated these 18 years, and it is not good. It really is a man's world out there, and it radio that is very prevalent.

We always say things happen "for a reason", so that is how we are approaching it. We were supposed to move out here, for whatever purpose, and we did (right, Kellie?). Nothing terrible has happened to us with the move, and we are trying to absorb what is out here for us to enjoy. We will get back on our feet for the next stage in due time.

While thinking of going back east now would be nice, it would mean possible problems for Morgan with work, and even if they were 100% behind the idea, it would mean her traveling again, and in the end, it is not really worth it, as she would be miserable with the "back and forth". As a matter of fact, I think she would rather quit, than have to do any more flying. No sense causing a mess. Just need to "let things happen", and trust our Faith. It will all be OK.

- How much more "weather" for the Midwest?
- Video games are recession proof?
- 5 recession proof jobs.

Until the next time.....

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Yes, all things happen for a reason. Believe me, it is something I continue to tell myself every day. I hate Morgan has had this issue with work. That stinks. I know this doesn't mean a hill of beans, but I think she is a great lady and does an awesome job. Tell her that. :) I selfishly can't wait for y'all to get back over "here." I'll be patient, though. :)

Anonymous said...

I happened upon your log some time ago and I enjoy you talking about your love for your family. You are a blessing. It is not common that a man can profess his love for his family as you do, keep it up! Tell Morgan that I know how she feels. I am in Law Enforcement and it is a man's world, but I have been here for almost 17 years and I am not going anywhere, the men will just have to deal with it, they may not like it but too bad, we(girls) are here to stay! So, Morgan hang in there, you are awesome. Maybe they are jealous because you look fabulous!!

Morgan said...

Anonymous---YOU ROCK! Thanks for the words of encouragement---right back atcha, girl! It is a guys world and I have probably one of the most chauvanistic--in a very passive/agressive way-- guy leading my show and it just makes my head wanna pop off some days. He likes to 'manage' me and I do not like to be managed! Some days it drives me crazier than others....and yestereday, was one of those days!