Friday, November 23, 2007

the day after the holiday.....

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. Ours went very well. Morgan had pretty much finished all the prepping on Wednesday evening, so it was really just a matter of putting things in the oven, and making the vegetables. We brined our turkey this year, and it was great. The last two years we placed in on the grill for some smoking/cooking, but this year it stayed in the oven the whole time. Everything else was great as usual, because I have a wife who is a wonderful cook. The stuffing, sweet potatos, beans, and mashed cauliflower were all wonderful.

Morgan ate some more turkey than she would have normally, but did not go overboard with anything else. She was not sure how she wanted to handle her first holiday meal since she lost, and is still losing weight. She said she was going to try a few more items, but she stayed a little cautious, and on track.

So far she is over 100 pounds lost. She looks great and feels great. Her weight has never been an issue with me, as long as she was healthy (and she was), but I love that she has found a system she likes, is seeing results, and is extremely happy with how she looks. I am very proud of her. Also from the "man" side, I have always found her beautiful and sexy, but now she says, and I agree, she looks "hot". :-)

On the flip side of all this, is her mother. Morgan never had a good relationship with her parents growing up (for another post), and as an adult it has not gotten any better (especially when you add in the fact that she married me, but that is for another "long" post). Even when her dad died a few years ago, she thought maybe she might get closer with her mom, but that has not happened, and after yesterday, she might be done with any relationship with her mother.

A little backstory here is that Morgan was the "baby" of the family and 5 years younger than the youngest sibling. She did things a little "out of the box", like wanting to be a DJ, and was discouraged from it, and belittled by them and every shot. She was told marrying me was a huge mistake. That her job, career path was a huge mistake. That California was a huge mistake, and why would she leave the local radio station for another job. All things that have worked out, but she has never heard a positive word about any of them. The funny (not really) is that the jabs, complaints and insults usually seem to come most during the holidays. I don't know why. I give her a ton of credit for staying in a relationship with them for as long as she did, but she always felt as the youngest, and the only daughter, it was her duty to keep trying.

I think that trying ended yesterday.

While on the phone with her mother, the obligatory, "what are you making for dinner?" came up. When Morgan mentioned all that she was making, but said she would be watching what she ate, her mother questioned why. When she said she was trying to lose weight, more questions, "why?". (Now, Morgan has been seen by her mom since she started losing weight, and has not received one, "You look good, you have lost weight" in the year since she started) Then her mother accused her of hiding something with the weight loss. When Morgan said she has lost 100+ pounds, and was planning on losing more because it was the right thing to do, her mother turned around and told her "Why now, you needed to do that since you were a kid, and you never did anything about it?"

With that my wife was done. She hung up the phone, got upset and cried. Another holiday where I get to comfort my crying wife because of her parents (has happended on holidays before). She says she won't do it anymore. No more calls, no more checking up on her. No nothing.

I don't know where to go with this. I am tired of Morgan getting this upset because of her parents, and don't want to see her this way, and have another holiday dampened (Not ruined. We will not let her defeat us.). Another part of me says that Morgan can't just cut ties with her 80+ year old mother. I'm thinking I'll just stay away (hard as her husband), and let the Lord take Morgan in the direction she needs to follow.

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Glad y'all had a great Thanksgiving with Morgan's friend. I KNEW Morgan would put on a spread... I thought of y'all yesterday.

I am sorry to hear this about her Mom, though. It truly is something to allow the Lord to direct Morgan's steps. It is not easy to not say anything... I have been there in different circumstances. I'll be praying for Morgan. You hang in there, too, my friend. :)

Tell Morgan I am continuing to be proud of her about her weight loss! She is doing AWESOME. :)