Tuesday, November 27, 2007

that time already.....


Today I received an e-mail notice that I could download the software for next tax season. This is just a first run of the program, but it let's me set things up like cover letters, instructions sheets, etc., so I don't have to worry about those little things come January. I can not believe that it is that time already. This will be my 22nd year preparing tax returns.

I have seen it all, but I never had to do a "pencil and paper" full tax return. I started out filling in worksheets, that were sent off to be processed, and the next day, a tax return was in your hands. Find an error, and you had to process the whole thing all over again.

Next it was a program that came on the large 5 1/4" disks (about 30 of them), so we could put in on our portable computers. Portable meant the size of a suitcase. Also, the returns did not print out. You got numbers on blank paper. Then you took the paper and placed an "overlay" sheet on it tat looked like a tax return page. Then you made a copy, and you had 1 page of the return. In that time, because the firm I worked for was located in New York, we were only able to do NY returns on the computer. I, as low man on the totem pole, did most of the out of state returns, by hand. That actually worked out nicely, as those clients got to know me, and some left that firm, and had me do their returns, when I came to NC and worked on my own. By the end of my time in NY, we had the capability to print the whole return, so no more overlays and copying.

When Morgan & I moved to NC, and I was on my own, I switched software companies, and never looked back. Their program used those smaller 3 1/2" disks, and if I needed, I could get the software for multiple states. Then the next big shift was the software coming on CDs. Now I had all individual and business returns for all states available to me. Updated disks would be mailed to you. Then no more mail updates, as you could download them (sloooow, back in the 90's with dial up). Dial up turned to broadband (cable modems), and with that came the ability to download the whole program. No more disk or CDs. Now, I have at my fingertips, the ability to do any kind of tax return for the Federal or any state government. Tax preparing has come a long way in my time, and I did not even mention the ability to research anything with a few mouse clicks. Add in the fact that I am now pretty much paperless, and all client documents are in a virtual file cabinet (nothing physically saved by me), it is amazing how far it has come.

All of that makes my life a lot easier. I enjoy preparing taxes and helping people throughout the year plan for their taxes. It is a "hard" 3 1/2 months until April 15th, but my working life is pretty easy the remaining time of the year.

So there is the last 22 years in tax preparation. Fascinating, wasn't it? If you have not fallen asleep, and knocked your head on the keyboard, God Bless You!

So now, I will spend some time getting final preparations ready for tax season. Some year-end clients notes, a run to Staples for tax return folders and other supplies, and a little bit of organizing the office should get me ready.

The other event from today was that my friend Kellie brought tears to my eyes because of a very nice note she sent to me. Love you, Kellie. You are also special to me and my family. We will talk soon.

With that, I will need to do something "manly" to negate the tears. I do not have any tools, nor do I know how to work on a car, so my options are limited. Guess it will have to be watching some sports and a gladiator movie. ;-)

Until the next time.....

3 comments:

Kellie said...

HAHAHA about the "manly" duties... I needed that at 6:10 am before starting another day with play practices!!

I was quite impressed with how far you have come in the tax "stuff." Wow... never realized all of that. I always knew you were good with taxes, Sal, but didn't realize HOW good. :) Glad everything is getting going "early" so you can be ready when it all hits in January!!

Talk with ya soon!:)

Sal Cartusciello said...

Glad I could make you laugh, but I was serious. ;-)

Kellie said...

I know you were serious... :) You still gave me quite a chuckle.