Wednesday, November 28, 2007

not sure I could handle.....

Received an e-mail from a client today. The client is a very nice guy, and I have prepared his joint return (have never met his wife) for the past few years. This year we did a great amount of planning because they were expect twins, and we were going through all the tax/cash flow scenarios concerning his wife working or staying at home. Today he sent an e-mail informing me that his wife delivered twins in early August at 24 weeks, but that one of the boys had passed away the next day. I was in shock. Never in my 22 years did I have to deal with a child's death, but I had to now, as he asked some questions concerning what would happen this year, and next year concerning his taxes.

After some hesitation, and the thought of just using an e-mail response, I decided I must call, give my condolences, tell him we would pray for his family, and answer his questions. We I called and he picked up and we started talking, he was surprisingly more upbeat than I would have thought, and after offering my prayers, we spoke about taxes. I had to ask about getting a SS# for the twins (got for both), but mainly we "talked tax".

After I said goodbye, and hung up, I just sat in my chair. Could I be as calm 3 1/2 months later after such a tragedy? Could I have answered so easily "yes" to the question about getting a SS# for my deceased child? Could I have then discussed other tax matters?

These are also the times when I ask, "Why Lord?" I know there is a plan, but must these steps be taken? Maybe part of the plan is for the strength being shown by the father. I know he "showed" me something during our conversation.

Now for some better news. Their other son is still under 4lbs, but is doing well. I will think about them and pray for them for quite a while.

Also, we have learned that Morgan's friend does not have any cancer. They did find a tumor, but it is benign. This is more of the news I like to hear.

My mom had another treatment yesterday. This one was 5 hours long. She say she is feeling OK, although one of the "side effect" drugs kept her awake all night, so she did not sleep until 8:30am this morning

On the sports, lighter side, my Hurricanes lost again tonight, 3-1 to the Flyers. That is two losses to them, at home, in one week. They really need to do something to get a fire going. If it was not for that 3 goal third period against Tampa, they would be on a long losing streak.

I promise. Christmas decoration pictures soon.

Until the next time.....

2 comments:

Kellie said...

I am glad you called your client, Sal. I know that meant a lot to him.

Things like you mentioned today with the death of a child are so hard to comprehend. That is when we have to keep looking to Christ for the answers because He sees the whole picture. We only see in part right now on this earth. I will pray for that family as well. My heart goes out to them as I truly don't know how I could have handled that situation myself.

That stinks about the 'Canes.. we saw a bit of the game last night. Maybe they just need ME to go out there and skate!! (yeah, right...lol)

I am looking forward to some Christmas pictures of lights on palm trees or something!!! (Not that I am rushing you to get them on here or anything...) :)

Kellie said...

OH...and praise the Lord for the good news on Morgan's friend! I prayed for her! :)

I'll keep praying for your Mom, too. Keep us posted on her.