Monday, December 17, 2007

FIRE, well not really.....

As I was just getting ready to type this day's title, the alarm system in the house went off. Problem is, we don't use the alarm system. After finally locating the touch panel, it said, "fire". We looked around, saw and smelt nothing. I then unplugged the smoke detector, and the siren was still whaling. Next, I found the control panel in a closet, unplugged it, and then open up the panel to disengage the battery. Finally, the siren came to a halt.

Called the landlord, and he was no help, as they had not used the system in years, and could not even remember the code they might have used when they did set the alarm. Ugh!!! Found the website of the alarm company, but they won't talk to me unless I am a monitoring customer, and to do that I need to sign a three year contract at $24.95 (base price) a month. Guess it will stay unplugged until a new owner or renter comes along.

That was enough excitement for the week. Hope we did not disturb the neighbors too much.

Speaking of the neighbors, the people next door invited us to a "dessert party" next Sunday evening. Seems they are a family of big cookers and bakers (kids included) so they have decided to share their treats. That was nice of them. It will also be nice to meet some new people.

Of course, right after we got this invitation, we received an e-vite to a birthday party of one of the HOG officers, Lisa (our chapter secretary), from her husband, Dave. Won't be able to make that, but it was nice to be asked.

Went to a new church on Saturday evening (http://www.thechurchatrb.org/). It was very nice, but it is hard to completely judge during the Christmas holidays. In their new visitor packet, they seem to have many groups, including a auto club, and a motorcycle riders' group. We were told that the Pastor is a rider. We are going to attend a few more services to see how it is during "normal" services. It is located in an old theater, and they still use the theater seating. The seats seem pretty new, so it was the most comfortable seat I have ever had during a service. :-)

The lesson concerned the Nativity, and what each participant went through before being there, and what the baby Jesus would have said to them. It was very nice, and tied into us as modern Christians.

On my own, I am through the first three chapters in the Book of John. If I was just reading, I would probably be farther ahead, but I am trying to take my time, and am using the Study Bible that Kellie gave to us.

This weekend, Morgan and Cassie finished decorating two of their three gingerbread creations. They have a very large house to remaining, and will probably do that next Sunday or Monday. When putting the structures together, they actually used hot glue instead of the "icing glue" that they would have made. They are to look at, not eat, so hot glue worked perfectly. They had a good time doing them, and the icicles on the house look great.

My buddy, Casey, got approval from his insurance company to start a new drug for his Crohn's. He was waiting on this pharmacist to get enough of it because he must start with a high dosage. He told me he has read that it has a decent "success" rate, so here's praying that he is on the positive side of the statistics with it.

Until the next time.....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Approval for the "Drug" not the dosage....that was a separate call from my doctor....
You know someday I am going to write daily in my blog....but I want it to be happy postings, not about how money is more important then health :) Hopefully start tomorrow, until then, Good night ;)

Sal Cartusciello said...

You mean money isn't more important than health? ;-)

So, one call for the drug approval, then another to let you take the right amount for it to work. Amazing!

Unknown said...

Yeah, isn't insurance great? ;)

Morgan said...

Now that I see the picture of it, that is one Charlie Brown lookin' tree....the house turned out awesome! The girl did a great job decorating it!

Kellie said...

I am loving the gingerbread houses! Morgan and Cassie did awesome! I had to laugh at the hot glue, though. Why didn't she just use glue dots like we did two years ago with our nativity scene????? he hee

Glad nothing was up with the alarm but, yep... that would have been quite annoying.

Kellie said...

Just checked out the church website. The statement of faith looks sound!

Glad you are taking it slow in your Bible studying. You will gain much by doing so. I would really love to know some things you are learning/thinking. :)