Thursday, August 21, 2008

I saw your picture.....

Morgan is packing for her trip. I miss her already. When she originally booked this I had no interest, but now I wish I were going with her. It's funny as I have no desire to visit my "homeland" of Italy, but Ireland seems like more fun to me. Maybe again in a few years, the three of us can go.

A few weeks ago, I gave the link to the online version of San Diego Magazine that had Morgan featured with before and after pictures of her weight loss, and then a Q&A with her about different items. The magazine is now out in print and available to subscribers, on newsstands, and it seems in hotel rooms.

She received an email form a gentleman who works in Houston for an oil company, and was visiting San Diego for conference or meeting he had to attend. Seems that in the week leading up to this trip, he had been told by his doctor that he needed to change his eating habits, to lose some weight, and just to get healthier in general. Seeing that the trip entailed business meetings with buffets and alcohol, he figured any new habits would have to start after he arrived back home to Houston. Well, on the first afternoon here, before an evening gatherings with clients / business people, he was flipping through the San Diego Magazine in his room and came across Morgan's page. Well, what he said was that he came across Morgan's picture in the right corner, and that made him stop flipping, but then he actually read the article. He told her that he was so inspired by her story, that he started his change of behavior at that time because of reading her story.

It made Morgan feel great, and it also made me proud that she was able to help someone. She already has two women that discuss their weight loss, due to Morgan's inspiration, on the air each Monday, and we are sure there are plenty of others that she does not know about.

Of course the other part of this story is having another man tell your wife, (quoting) "it was the stunning picture in the top right hand corner that caught my eye (as it would any man not dead)". I don't know how to react to this. I feel the "Yes, that's my beautiful wife" (proud), and the "I am one lucky man, now turn your head and bug off" (jealousy), emotions all at once. It's not a "rage" jealousy, but one of slight discomfort that I need to learn to adjust to, and get over.

Morgan and I have had this discussion quite a few times, and we have come to the conclusion that besides the person losing the weight having to deal with their "new you", their partners (especially long time ones) also must adjust to the "new them". It is just taking me a little while to get completely comfortable with the idea of other men "looking" at my wife.

Morgan and I have had a solid relationship for these past 18+ years, and I truly have nothing to worry about when it comes to Morgan, and our love for each other. I know how much I love her and how it grows each and every day.

I also feel I have the same "spark" for her and that seeing her makes me feel the same way now as it did 18 years ago. I may not always show it to her, and for that I apologize, but I feel it in me every time I see her.

That point was brought up to me at church last Saturday night. A couple we know and are friendly with, will be leading a "small group" of couples, with the Bible connection being intimacy. Tony mentioned that the thought process behind the topic was how couples don't feel the same spark that they did when they first meet, and are dating. Well, I do, and maybe even more so now than 18 years ago. I felt funny saying that when he told me, so I did not say anything, and I am interested in taking the class, but it made me wonder if I am in the minority on this issue. Yes, life is hard with work, Cassie, family, and the times in general, and we are more "tired" then awake most days, but I always feel a "spark" for Morgan. I always get that "feeling" when I see, or are with her, and no matter what we are doing. I can be crawling into bed after she is long asleep, or if she is still sleeping when I awake, or when I bug her with an inane question, and she gives me that "look", I always feel a little better because of her.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the "theme" of the class. Or maybe Morgan and I have it easier than most couples? In either case, I just know I am lucky to feel this way each and every day, and I have room for 50 mores years of "spark" with her.

- Only a couple of more Olympic days remaining.
- Fay has plenty of rain, bringing out the gators. Yikes.
- Just joined my 3rd Fantasy Football league. Must stop. :-)

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

You are a GOOD HUSBAND!!!!!!! :) That was all SO sweet what you said about Morgan. Steve and I still have a spark, but during school, it dies to a pilot light. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAA!!! I know exactly what you mean. You'd be lost without Morgan like I'd be lost without Steve. Like I said... You are a GOOD HUSBAND!!! :)