Saturday, August 16, 2008

change of pace.....

This morning was the first day of Cassie's last summer swim meet. They will take a few weeks off, and start back up in late September. She swam an Individual Medley, a 200 freestyle event, and a 50 freestyle event, and then was asked, and participated on a freestyle relay team. She had a great morning and was below all her previous best times (two by almost 20 seconds), and came in 4th place in the 200 freestyle event. Tomorrow will be 50 backstroke and breast stroke (her least favorite) events, along with a 100 butterfly race.

We are very proud of her, as she continues to improve each time, and she is also having fun. Those are the two most important pieces for Morgan and I when it comes to Cassie and her activities. She is not looking to be world class at this point, so our total participation as a family is casual. If she really wanted to pursue it, I would get up at 4am, if need be, for the practices, but first she must always try her best and have fun.

Tomorrow night is our Baptism at the Beach, as our church is calling it. We are looking forward to it, and also to tonight's weekly service, as Pastor Harry returns and the church gets back to "normal". I liked the guest speakers, and I think it was a great way to introduce different stories from different people to us.

Yes, this is a picture of me with a Fu Manchu moustache. After having a goatee for the past 16+ years, I decided to try something different, and so far the family opinion has not been overwhelmingly in favor of it. Cassie just keeps on looking and laughing, while Morgan thinks I belong on "That 70's Show". Maybe I'll let it fill in and go back to the regular goatee, but I'm not sure, and I think I will give it some time.

I kept a mustache from college, until Morgan and I got married in 1991. Then after returning from our honeymoon, where I did not shave, I just kept a full beard (I had hair until 1998), until after tax season in 1992. That is when I shaved down to the goatee, and have kept it ever since. Then when I started losing my hair in 1998, I just shaved it all off, and continued wearing it shaved.

So for the last 10 years, I have maintained the same "look", except for the occasional laziness during winter (when we were back east) where I might not shave for a couple of weeks, and the 2+ months where I grew a "playoff beard" (Casey also joined in) during the Hurricanes 2006 Stanley Cup Playoff run.

So for me, this is just something different, a "change of pace", if you will. I do think I need to make the sides a little bit thicker, as I trimmed too much away when I first shaped it. Who knows, maybe they'll revive "That 70's Show", and I'll get a part. ;-)

- College Football is less than 2 weeks away.

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

A NEW LOOK! You know I can't do change very well, Sal. lol You look great, though, my friend. :) Had to chuckle at yours and Casey's 2006 playoff beards. I remember that beard quite well. :)