Friday, September 5, 2008

I want my DirecTV.....

I'm exhausted, as it was another night watching convention coverage until 2am. This was not planned. Because Morgan and I had our first "small group" meeting at church at 6:30. I set the dvr for the football game, and the convention coverage. Zap through the game, then zap through to McCain's speech, and call it a night.

So, when I got upstairs and turned on the TV, and saw CNN frozen on my screen, I knew something was wrong. (This is not the first time something has happened with these Time Warner boxes, and the problems are throughout the country. Worst part is because this is their new software, and they are rolling out these boxes, they will not be fixing it anytime soon.) I go to the listing, and the football is there, but no CNN, only a grey screen. So, it was "reboot city" to reset the box.

I knew I had let the game run over by an hour, so I figured I was in good shape. I watch the game, and here comes NBC News in Minnesota with their convention coverage. All right, a 10pm bedtime is in site. Well, that was all good until realizing that the game was over 3 hours long, McCain started late, and I only had a little sliver of "bar" left on my recording. So, about 35 to 40 minutes into the speech, up comes the "ending" box asking if I wanted to save or delete the show. There was no option for throwing the box out the second floor window, which was the option I wanted.

CNN "replays" their coverage at 11pm here in the west, so I was able to flip over to them, but they also have a 3 hour replay, so the part I missed was not being shown until after 1am in the morning. Ugh!

I do not like Time Warner Cable. I can't wait until we move and I can switch to DirecTV and their DVR or the new combo with TIVO.

Otherwise, I thought John McCain did a pretty good job with his speech. It is still an uphill battle at this point, but again, it will come down to the four debates. I would also like to hear some substance from either one at this point. McCain tried a little last night, but the only thing that stuck out was doubling the child exemption (that is the accountant in me). Otherwise, we have from both only outline bullet points, and no descriptions under the points.

The group Morgan and I are involved with through the church seems like it will be a nice nine week session. The other couples seem nice, but it was funny that we are the oldest in the group (by I would guess 8 to 10 years), and married the longest (us 17 years, the next was either 10 or 11). Made me feel old. :-)

As I have mentioned there are "Cassie activities" this weekend with her ocean swim these next two mornings, and a Girl Scouts get together tomorrow afternoon. She should do real well in that swim on Sunday morning.

- Talk about Odd Couple. Jerry Seinfeld & Bill Gates.
- Never thought I would see a Secretary of State in Libya.
- Hope Hanna skirts the NC & SC coasts.

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I am laughing... at you wanting to throw the box out of the window. I so know and understand with different things. :)

Hate you had those issues and couldn't see the convention when you wanted. I didn't stay up to watch McCain... my body wouldn't allow it. lol

We're getting lots of rain around here. Glad I took pics of your place the other day! :)