Saturday, September 27, 2008

that was tame.....

I Hate Politicians! That was the text I received from Casey last night towards the end of the debate. I was with Cassie at swimming practice, so I had it on the dvr, and was going to watch when I returned home. He sent a couple of messages about them "going at each other", so I really expected a good debate. Let's just say my level of confrontation is a little higher then his, so I sent him back a text at about 1am eastern telling him he is a "wimp". :-)

Not much accomplished last night, except I do get the sense that if these two were not running for President, both, but John McCain a little more, would be against this bailout. But, neither one wants to look America in the eye, and say, "No bailout! So expect some tough times ahead and buckle up, but I am the man that will lead you through this". One of them does that, and they could take that leadership role, that we are looking for one of them to grab. Of course at the same time, we would see if the American public is truthful in saying they really don't want this bailout (many polls are showing much distrust for it), and are willing to "tough it out". So it could also be a disaster.

Chris commented on yesterday's post, after the debate, that neither one did anything for him. While I agree that neither one established himself "head and shoulders" above the other, and I also agree with him for his reasons against Barack Obama, we don't see the same way about John McCain and foreign policy. Chris thinks he is a bit "trigger happy", while I think it is OK to "pump your chest" out a bit, especially with his background in foreign affairs. We both agree that we need to look at the foreign aid we give away without batting an eye.

I will say this though, I absolutely hate that we have our candidates talking foreign policy in such detail, and out in public. In this "know everything media" that surrounds us, the fact that both of them have to put their thoughts and policies for all to see bothers me. Yes, I want to know if one or the other is going to step into office and "play with all the fancy buttons", but they seem to be pressed too much for my taste on exactly what they would do (during the debate, and out on the campaign trail). Again, I may make it sound like the 1950's, but it is one area where I think "quieter is better".

The policy concerning Iraq though has to taken care of, and this is an area where I strongly disagree with Barack Obama. Maybe the war was wrong, and maybe (I say maybe, as that will be a different post) we were deceived (I don't believe it was intentional), but once we stepped on that ground, we began a job, and as Americans we must finish it to the best of our abilities. There is no timetable for this. We are done, when we are done. Setting a date, and not completing our obligation (again whether or not you agree with the war, we now, as Americans, have an obligation to complete the job) is just plain wrong.

I thought it was pretty even, but I do see areas where John McCain can improve, and must improve, in light of the other debates not focusing on foreign affairs. He needs to drive home the point, that all of the alternative energy ideas he has out on the table (nuclear plant building, off shore drilling, and the other alternative energy infrastructure) will bring about many jobs. Add to that the countries infrastructure itself (roads, bridges, etc.), and there are even more jobs. He is getting hammered about not caring for the middle class, but these are jobs that if people really want to work (their will be white collar engineering involved, along with blue collar work) will be available to them. Yes, these are "government" jobs in the sense that the government will pay for them, but with cutting government (and there is much to cut), and then the increased tax revenues from increased employment, and a growing economy, which would come from the increase in employment, it would be a good thing overall.

Chris seems to be more of an economist then me, so he can tell me if I am thinking correctly on this plan.

Again, if anyone from the McCain camp wants some "middle class" advice, you know how to reach me (and Chris). :-)

I can't let this post go without a mention of the death of Paul Newman. One of my favorite, if not favorite actors of all time. As I mentioned on Geezer Gamers, I am not a big multiple time movie watcher, but I could put Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and The Sting on in a loop on my television, and never get tired of them. Add The Hustler, The Color of Money (underrated in my opinion), and Slap Shot, and you have quite a bit of watching fun. As I look down the list at IMDB, it just reminds me of the many movies from the 1960's through the 1980's that we was in, and what a great actor he was. God bless.

- Big time math geeks are stoked.
- More about Paul Newman from ESPN.
- ESPN on Newman's love for racing, and more about Slap Shot.

Until the next time.....

3 comments:

Morgan said...

Maybe this is just a girl thing, but I sure would have liked McCain to have actually looked O'Bama in the eye once in a while. Barack certainly addressed him face-to-face and McCain just kept looking down. In my opinion--it made O'bama look more confident, approachable and likeable. McCain looked like he was terrified and kinda cold. I've always heard don't trust anyone who can't look you in the eye...

Sal Cartusciello said...

I set up was unusual with them having interaction. My guess is McCain just kept looking into camera to "talk" to the people, but I saw this mentioned a bit.

Chris said...

I'm just an armchair economist at best, but I am developing a huge interest in economics and have several books on my Amazon Wish List to further that interest.

This article sheds some interesting light on the whole "Green Jobs" concept: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/green_jobs.html

I'm enjoying your political posts, Sal. I haven't had nearly as much time as I'd like to put some of my own up, but I hope that will change in the next week or two. I have a lot to explain (like why I'm still struggling with putting up the McCain/Palin yard sign I have sitting in my garage).

I'm just a regular guy longing to go back to the days when the Constitution existed to tell the government what they could (and could not) do as opposed to the way it is used now--to tell the American citizen what they can and cannot do.