Friday, September 19, 2008

wild week.....

If you like roller coasters, you sure must have enjoyed this week and the stock market ride. All I know is I don't enjoy roller coasters, so please make the ride stop. :-)

I don't want to give a mixed message about my thoughts of these past few days with the economy and the stock market. I believe in less / small government, and as a rule would say no government intervention. That being said, as I mentioned yesterday, I am not an economic wiz, so I am going to hope and pray that this was the right course of action. I did not want it to happen, but it has, so as always, I will support my government, and hope this works out for the best.

Again, if nothing else, and we "muddle" along for a while, I hope the "smart" people can get something in place that keeps our capitalistic society, while getting those speed bumps out there to keep this from happening again. I might be 180 degrees wrong, and even naive on this, and I will not dig my heels in and claim to know it all. I'm just having faith and hope with this mess.

JediChric's post today also dealt with Wall Street, but he had a very interesting point about oil prices, and their run up earlier in the year. He mentioned the media as part of the blame (I do think 24 hour cable news and internet, make us see thing worse than they are), but there was an interesting discussion last week on CNN's "Your Money".

The discussion centered on why with Hurricanes Gustov and Ike going through the Gulf, did oil prices not rise as they approached (unlike the gasoline spikes the southeast saw). The two "oil experts" both agreed that the rise in prices we saw in the spring were in large caused by the speculators and market "experts", and said that analyst was backed up when prices did not rise these past few weeks. One even mentioned Goldman Sachs by name, as their "oil expert" was the one to say that oil could reach $200 a barrel by summertime. They mentioned that what the expert forgot to say was that Goldman Sachs had lots of money tied up in oil futures. These are the clowns that need to be reeled in for manipulating the market.


Here is a picture of the house we are building back in NC. This was taken early in the week, and by now it should be fully framed. Thank you, Kellie.

A quiet Friday and Saturday ahead for us. Morgan is meeting a friend for coffee on Saturday morning, and Cassie has swim practice on Friday night, so nothing taxing. On Sunday, we will all be out for a good part of the morning and early afternoon as the church's car club has a ride scheduled to the mountains, which Morgan and Cassie will do, while the motorcycle club will also be riding, but we will be heading southeast to the Alpine area of the county.

Otherwise, I think it is a Rock Band 2 weekend for us. On the football side, we have a great matchup on Sunday Night Football with the Packers and Cowboys, while Monday Night Football comes to downtown San Diego when the Jets visit our beaches. Two good national games.

And I won't even mention about the non-caring fans here in the city that have not sold out the game, and have left open the possibility (slim, because someone will buy the tickets) that it could be blacked out here in town. Ugh!

- Microsoft taking on Apple over "coolness".
- Padre rookies as "Hooter Girls". Yuck!
- Sunday night is the final Yankee Stadium event.

Until the next time.....

3 comments:

Morgan said...

The sad thing about the Chargers not selling out, is that this happens at EVERY game. Only when it gets late in the season and maybe, if we are headed to the playoffs will people wake up. It's a very 'fair weather' region, I will say that. When you grow up in the State/Carolina/Duke triangle where the teams could not show up and the stands would sell out.....this is tough to get used to.

Kellie said...

You are very welcome for the pics. :)

You'll be glad to get back home to some "REAL" fans, won't you? :)

Unknown said...

Well I can think of another reason the Chargers don't sell out... ;)
Nice looking...umm...frame of a house?? :)
Where is it again, I need to swing out there sometime.