Friday, January 25, 2008

big brother.....

First thing I want to do is follow up from yesterday, and how my feelings for the area came about. I have two of my best friends struggling with different parts of their lives right now, and I wish I were there for them. Two months ago I would have been upset and blaming the move here for me not being there. Now, I don't think about being back east, but how my thoughts and prayers from here will help them. With that, came a peace of mind, that I am feeling much better about our time here, and that is a very good thing.

The idea for today's post and rant goes from my gaming buddy, Gunsl1ng3r, and his latest post, as it fit into today's "workday" for me. In short, his post was about changing of his phone and the company blocking certain websites from the phone. I commented to him that was the reason why I have worked on my own for these past 14+ years. He had also made a mention of this on our boards over at Geezer Gamers, and several other members of our group mentioned the same things happening to them.

This kind of "upper management" thinking is part of the reason the moral of the American worker is low. I go by the theory that if an employee has done his work, and all work he is capable of doing at that time, then allowing some breathing room and relax time is a good thing for the employee, and also for the company. Now, if the employee is not getting his work done, or is rushing to finish work and not doing it properly, and is "fooling around" on company time, that employee needs to be shown the door. Adults need to be given responsibility, and to show responsibility. With that comes a better working relationship.

There are many jobs now that do not fit into the "8 hour day". Some employers make you keep that cell phone on you at all times, just so they can reach you after hours. The technology that has given workers the ability to do more "non work" during the work day, is the same technology that companies use to make their employee more productive in the first place. If that greater productivity allows the employee some free time during the "workday", good for them.

Again, I am all for the responsibility portion of this. I think this country has become a giant "it's not my fault" nation. If your employer gives you a job to do, and you don't do it because you strayed from the project, you should be replaced, with no whining about being unfair. At the same time, if you finish that project and have an hour of time to kill, setting up your fantasy football team while you wait for your next assignment is OK.

I worked for someone for my last 2 years of college on a part time basis, so I was always busy during tax season, or made my hours based on what he needed me to do after tax season. From 1988 through 1993, I worked for a small firm, and there the thought was we should be busy eight hours a day, tax season or not. We used to literally make up work for clients, like an analyst of their taxes wit or without a company pension, or take on these projects one of the partners would bring in where there was no way in the world we would ever get paid for it. Did not matter, we have to show billings. Then when you did, and some of those uncollectables came around, we were sent to try and collect them. No wonder we used to go to a client's office to do the work, and not return for the day.

Which brings me to today. I write this at 12:20pm, and I am all caught up for the day. I have corporate returns that need to be printed, but I never do them until February 1st to make sure the software has caught any early bugs. There is nothing on my desk. I am writing this while surfing the web for any interesting stories to place on the bottom of the page, and have today's paper next to me to read. After that, if still no work comes in, I think I am going to play on the XBOX. It sure beats me staring at the phone, or trying to make up work for my clients.

At my old place, we probably would have printed and billed out the returns, then if a bug was found, reprint the returns, and bill the client again for the time. Hey, it kept the employees busy. Ugh!

So even after changing my chair (very comfortable), and fixing my desk, I am starting to feel my right shoulder muscle and some pain. It has got to be the repetitive nature of my actions during this time of year. I think a massage or a visit to the chiropractor is going to be needed. I was hoping that this was over, but I guess not.

- Yea, Tom Petty, but no San Diego show. :-(
- Harley-Davidson has a new Softail bike.
- I can remember this very vividly.
- The best All-Star Game, but I'm biased.

Until the next time.....

4 comments:

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

At least I can still read my bud's blogs, so far...

I hope you can find the source and a fix for you discomfort. I pulled a muscle in my back pretty bad once, and I get occasional flare-ups. Not fun at all.

I love Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers! Easily one of the top 3 shoes I've ever seen, if not #1. The combination of Petty and Mike Campbell is amazing. And I think they changed guitars between every song. It was like a vintage guitar museum and show all in one.

Hogwild said...

I remember that very vividly, too, Sal. I left for Australia with snow still on the ground and landed in 110 degree weather...it was brutal.

Yep, I can get to most blogs as well. Geezergamers...forget it. >:(

Kellie said...

Loved your post today, Sal. You know I am a firm believe in doing what is expected but you are right that if you have a few moments it should be OK to have some down time. Good thoughts, my friend. :)

I am also glad to know you are feeling better about being in San Diego. I am glad you are at peace about that. I feel your prayers. You just don't know how much... :) Miss ya, though. :)

McJeepers said...

That's why I now own my own business. No more working for the man for me. I will admit though, at times (like now), I find it too easy to say to myself, ehh just one more post, and then back to work. Sometimes free access can be dangerous :-)