Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Healer.....

It has been raining quite a bit here in San Diego this winter. This is the rainy season, as it can be six months before another good rain once March rolls around. I think we are up to almost 4 inches for the "season", with the normal being about 10 inches for the whole year. Last year the whole year (July 1, 2006 - June 30, 2007) only had 4+ inches.

So, we were having brunch this morning at Humphrey's, and I was going to take my camera. The weather was supposed to be heavy rain all day, so because it was raining when we left, I kept the camera at home. As we got towards the beach, the sky opened and the sun appeared. It stayed sunny for our whole breakfast, and our trip to Fashion Valley Mall (an complete outdoor mall). So, no camera, no pictures.

Last night at church, for the first time in my life, I had the service lead by a woman pastor. Pastor Jeanette gave a very nice sermon about God as a Healer. As we were going through our scripture and passages linked to God as a Healer, one of the passages we studied was "I Corinthians 13:12" (For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.). The same passage that my friend Kellie has wrote and spoken about on Friday in her posting. Morgan and I both looked at each other, and could not believe how God had woven everything all of this together for us.

In speaking of God the Healer, Pastor Jeanette asked any of us that was a health problem and needs healing to come up front, and her and the other associate Pastors would bless us with oil and pray for us. Morgan and Cassie both encouraged me to go up front for my neck and shoulder. While I was up front and praying, I thought about how insignificant my should pain was compared to five others very close to me in my life. I have a brother with a bone spur and pinched nerve who has not been able to work for the week, my mother is in the middle of her battle with breast cancer, while my step-father, Lou, is possibly battling a tumor in his throat. Then I thought of Casey and how his Crohn's was acting up again this week because he was worried about his new baby daughter, Gillian, and her fight to get better and come home with her mommy and daddy. When I thought of all of them, I almost wanted to get up and not worry about myself, but instead I stayed and prayed for all of them.

Then it was Pastor Jeanette who came over to see me. We introduced ourselves to each other, and spoke for a bit. I told her how we had just found the church and was planning to attend their membership meeting this coming Thursday. She then blessed me with the oil and we prayed together. I prayed for myself, and my friends and family.

Then came this morning at 8am. I had not yet turned on my cell phone, when my office phone started ringing. It was my mother. They had to rush my step-father to the hospital at 3am because he was having big trouble breathing, and was hallucinating about voices and noises. They had to perform a tracheotomy for now, and are doing more test. As of Thursday, he only had a bad voice, and was snoring extremely loud. Now, their doctor has told them they need to see if chemo and radiation are still the first option, or they are thinking about taking his voice box.

Again, God has woven last night's sermon, with today's events. I just hope I can see what God is trying to show me through all of this.

Last night, Morgan and I watched Away from Her. Julie Christie has received an Academy Award nomination for her part, and both Morgan and I thought Gordan Pinsent should have too. Morgan looked at me funny when I popped it in, but I really like Julie Christie, and from what I read it was a love story. A different one, but still about love.

We both thought about our lives together when watching the movie. I could not imagine sending Morgan away to live in a "care facility", and told her that if she did have Alzheimer's, I would just tie a bell around her ankle to know where she was. :-) But in the end, I would probably follow the lead of Pinsent's character, Grant, and do what made Morgan the happiest.

Hug and kiss the ones you love.

Until the next time.....

1 comment:

Kellie said...

WOW... God is so at work!! Isn't it always amazing to be a part of something you KNOW God is in control of even though you can't see it all?

I will be praying for your step-father. I hate to hear about this weekend with him.

I'll also pray about your shoulder. Remember, nothing is insignificant to the Lord. He knows all and cares for us all.

I really wish you'd send some of that rain here.. lol :)